cover image


Studies for the doctoral degree at LUT University are typically doctoral-level courses offered by LUT /other universities or doctoral training network seminars or summer schools targeted for doctoral students. Doctoral studies must always include studies from your own research field. In addition, you can include methodology studies, literature studies, personal assignments and also studies that develop transferable skills necessary for a researcher.

When you plan your studies for the study and research plan (and later in Sisu) please take into account that the studies to be included in the doctoral degree must be completed before the permission to print is granted by the Academic Council. LUT Doctoral School recommends that the studies should be completed during the first two years of studying.

From January 1, 2022 onwards the study attainments included in a doctoral degree may not date back more than seven years. On special grounds, an exception can be made based on the proposal of the coordinating supervisor. The final decision on the matter is made by the head of the doctoral programme. Supplementary studies will not expire. When checking the expiration of studies, it is done on a yearly-basis. This means that your studies taken in 2014 or earlier have now expired. See further information on the validity of studies in Files below.

General instructions on the selection of studies

  • Information about doctoral courses: Postgraduate (doctoral) courses offered at LUT can be found in the Guide for Postgraduate Studies and also in Sisu. See further information in Sisu instructions for doctoral students
  • Check also Other education & training for doctoral students.
  • Studies that degree programmes offer as study drafts, please the page Study drafts.
  • Doctoral training networks: Doctoral programmes may offer possibilities to attend courses in their national cooperation and doctoral training networks such as NORDTEK and KATAJA. Please consult your supervisors on this option.
  • Courses to be taken outside LUT University: Discuss your plan and the suitability of such studies for the doctoral degree in advance with your supervisors. Check the course level from the organiser and if necessary, contact LUT Doctoral School as well.
  • Flexible study right (JOO): All Finnish universities are parties to the Flexible Study Right Agreement (JOO), which provides degree students in Finnish universities the opportunity to include courses from other universities into their degrees. For further information, click here.
  • MOOCS and other online courses: Ensuring the course level is essential especially if you intend to participate in courses openly offered online (MOOCs=Massive Open Online Courses, e.g. edX, Coursera). Please note that it is not possible to include "beginner"- or "intermediate"-level courses in the doctoral degree. An "Advanced"-level course can be included only if complemented with extra assignments to make it a doctoral-level course.
  • Master/advanced courses: Courses may be included at the discretion of the supervisor only if the suitability of such a Master (advanced) course for postgraduate studies is mentioned in the course description.

    If you have been awarded a study right before August 1, 2022 Master (advanced) courses that are already in the register can be included in the doctoral degree at the discretion of your supervisor. This also applies to courses that have been passed before August 1, 2022 but are not registered yet. In addition, Master courses that have been included in the original accepted study plan delivered with the study right application can still be included in the degree.
  • Defining ECTS credits: If the number of credits has not been defined, the scope will be measured on the basis of the amount of work by the student (27 h = 1 ECTS credit, in whole numbers only).
  • Conference presentations: You can get maximum 4 ECTS credits based on conferences from your own discipline (2 ECTS cr/conference), provided that the conference had a review board and you gave a presentation. Please note that you cannot use this study attainment as part of your article-based dissertation.
  • Literature examination results: In addition to the name of the examiner and the number of credits, also the author, the title, the number of pages and the publication year of the book studied has to be mentioned. 40-70 pages usually correspond to 1 ECTS credit. When you deliver your preliminary study plan as an attachment to the study right application, it is enough that you give a general subject field of the literature in addition to the ECTS credits and how the content will be examined.
  • Seminars for doctoral students: These are commonly accepted in the ECTS credit extent defined by the organiser (university, doctoral programme).
  • University pedagogy training at LUT:  Training (mainly in Finnish, 25 ECTS credits) may be included in supporting studies as a module of 4 ECTS credits. Further information on pedagogical studies in English is available on LUT intranet (restricted access). Credits are not given based on single pedagogy courses taken.

Note! Studies taken outside LUT University have to be approved by the supervisor as well before registering them at LUT.  If needed, the supervisor also converts postgraduate studies completed in another institution to the scale applied at LUT University. In Sisu personal study plan this type of studies are study drafts. When you have the result available you apply for credits via Sisu.


Enrolment for the academic year/doctoral students

Please enrol as attending or non-attending for every academic year. Note that you have to be an attending student in order to have study results registered.

You must also enrol as attending for the semester in which you start the dissertation process, as well as for the semester in which you are going to graduate. This is a must even though you do not take courses any more.

If you do not take care of enrolment (attending/non-attending) by the deadline, you will lose the study right.

Further information, please see Registration for the academic year

Enrolment for courses and exams

Enrolment for courses and exams takes place in Sisu. In order to be able to enrol for a course you must include the course in question in your primary study plan in Sisu.

Instructions for course enrolments here.

Instructions for exams enrolments here.